This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.

Request a Sick Note

When do I need a fit note?


For the first 6 days that you are unable to work through sickness you can complete a self certification form.  This form can be obtained from your employer.

After 7 days, you will need a Statement of Fitness for Work from your GP. This will detail the reason for your absence from work and the length of time that you will not be fit to work.  It will also say whether or not the doctor needs to assess you again at the end of this period.  If it is not necessary for you to be re-assessed you can simply return to work at the end of the stated period.

If you need to see the doctor for further assessment and ongoing certification of your sickness, the certificate can, if necessary, be backdated to ensure continuity of sickness absence so an immediate appointment is not necessary.

If you are in hospital, they will provide you with a sick note. They should also include any period necessary after you leave hospital. If necessary, this can be extended by your GP when you return home.

If you want to see your doctor solely to extend a sick note, please check with the receptionist whether an appointment is necessary.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website